- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bavarian Stew Recipe
|Beef chuck/Stew meat||2 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced|
|Hot water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seed||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red cabbage head||1 Medium|
|Gingersnap crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3609 Calories from Fat 1839
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 209 g321.1%
Saturated Fat 90.4 g452%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 695.5 mg
Sodium 7217 mg300.7%
Total Carbohydrates 242 g80.7%
Dietary Fiber 63.7 g254.6%
Sugars 119.6 g
Protein 218 g435.1%
Vitamin A 583.4% Vitamin C 2429.7%
Calcium 152.1% Iron 231.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown beef cubes in hot butter on all sides. Add onions and brown for 3 minutes. Add water, bay leaf, salt, pepper and caraway seed.
3. Cover tightly with vac-control valve closed. Reduce heat to low. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
4. Cut cabbage in wedges. Place cabbage on top of stew meat. Cover tightly and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
5. Meanwhile, soak gingersnap crumbs in 1/4 cup of warm water.
6. Remove cabbage and meat from Dutch oven and place on a deep serving plate.
7. Add gingersnap crumbs to gravy in pan and cook, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and thickened.
8. Pour gravy over meat and serve with boiled buttered hoodies.