- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bavarian Red Cabbage Bayerisches Kraut Recipe
|Red cabbage||3 Pound (1 Large Head)|
|Vegetable oil/Bacon drippings, for non-vegetarian||3 Tablespoon (For Vegetarians)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Apples||2 Medium, peeled, cored and diced|
|Dry red wine/Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 53
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.2%
Saturated Fat 0.8 g4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 300.7 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.6%
Sugars 22.3 g
Protein 3 g6%
Vitamin A 38.5% Vitamin C 169.3%
Calcium 9% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Shred the cabbage.
2) in colander, rinse the shredded cabbage.
3) Drain it well and keep aside.
4) In Dutch oven or large kettle, heat the oil or drippings.
5) Over low heat, saute the shredded cabbage.
6) Keep stirring and cook for 10 minutes or until cabbage starts to wilt.
7) In the kettle, add apple along with wine or vinegar, bay leaf, salt and sugar.
8) Cover the kettle and cook on low heat.
9) Simmer the mixture for at least 2 hours, while stirring frequently.
10) In the kettle, add jelly.
11) Mix until melted and well-blended.
12) Cover the kettle and simmer of further 10 minutes.
13) Serve the cabbage warm as side dish.