- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basmati Pilaf Recipe
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked over|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch (1 piece)|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Cashew nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
Calories 925 Calories from Fat 352
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.5%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 601.1 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 123 g40.9%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.8%
Sugars 22.1 g
Protein 19 g38.4%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 14.5%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash the rice with cold water, continuously change water and wash till water is clear .
2) Then cover it with lot more cold water and allow it to soak for about half an hour.
3) Allow rice to drain through a colander for half an hour.
4) In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over moderate-low heat and slightly cook the onion until it is soft and translucent.
5) Now add the drained rice, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, cashew nuts, and sultanas and stir-fry the mixture for 2 minutes over moderate heat.
6) Into the pan ,add 2 1/2 cups water with salt.
7) Cover tightly, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, adding a little more water during cooking if needed, till the rice is tender and fluffy and all the water has been reduced.
8) Serve hot with curd dip or raita of your choice.