- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basic White Sauce Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk/Light cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 789 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.3%
Saturated Fat 37.4 g186.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166.1 mg
Sodium 1162 mg48.4%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g15.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.86 g3.5%
Sugars 23.9 g
Protein 18 g36.6%
Vitamin A 37.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 53% Iron 8.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Slowly heat butter just until melted and golden, not browned, stirring all the while. Remove from heat.
2. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth.
3. Add milk, a small amount at a time, stirring after each addition. Return to heat.
4. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5. Use this white sauce as base for other sauces or for soups.