- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basic Fresh Sauce for Pizza, Pasta or use it as a Dipping Sauce Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||3 , chopped (1 medium onion may be used instead of 3 shallots)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, chopped (or chipotle peppers)|
|Ripe tomatoes||10 Small, chopped|
|Italian seasoning/Pizza and pasta seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Paprika||1 Tablespoon (Use according to your taste)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (If required) (Optional)|
Calories 196 Calories from Fat 102
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.9%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg2.7%
Sodium 579.7 mg24.2%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 5 g19.9%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 103.6% Vitamin C 122.9%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Electronic hand blender
1. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Into this, add the roughly chopped shallots, stir for a couple of minutes and let the shallots cook a little.
2. Once the shallots turn golden brown, add the chopped red bell pepper.
3. When the red bell peppers are cooked, add the tomatoes, salt to taste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Mix everything well.
4. Add a little bit of water (if the tomatoes are juicy, no water would be required). Cover the pan and let it cook for a while.
5. Add butter, stir until the butter melts. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Once done, turn off the heat and let the sauce mixture cool.
7. Once the sauce has cooled, using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
8. The sauce can be served as a topping for pizza, pasta or even as a dipping sauce.
To use it as a dipping sauce, add I tablespoon of parmesan cheese for 1 cup of sauce. For added flavor, add brown sugar.
Fire roasted bell peppers and tomatoes may be used to enhance the flavor.
If the tomatoes are overripe or too juicy then add thickening agents like cornstarch or arrow root powder to make the sauce thicker.
If required you can add sugar or brown sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.