- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basic Consomme Recipe
|Beef fat/Butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef brisket/Beef shoulder||2 Pound|
|Veal knuckle||2 Pound|
|Onions||4 Medium, quartered|
|Coarse salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
Calories 443 Calories from Fat 259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.3%
Saturated Fat 11.9 g59.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 137 mg
Sodium 655.9 mg27.3%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.1%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 35 g69.3%
Vitamin A 42.1% Vitamin C 12.8%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a soup kettle, add beef fat or butter to brown the beef.
2) Add other ingredients and bring the liquid to a boil. Skim the fat.
3) Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for another 2.5 hours.
4) Strain the consommé by spreading a damp cloth on top a large bowl.
5) Pour in the contents of the soup kettle over the damp cloth.
6) Allow this to drain thoroughly without disturbing.
7) Pour the strained liquid into milk bottles, cover with the cap. Place the bottles inside refrigerator.
8) As the consommé cools down, the fat will get settled on top and will prevent air to get into the consommé. Refrigerate for 2-3 weeks to get jelly consommé.