- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basic Beef Soup Recipe
|Beef shank||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled, chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, quartered|
Calories 220 Calories from Fat 102
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.4%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.9 mg
Sodium 86.9 mg3.6%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.4%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 24 g47.9%
Vitamin A 43.7% Vitamin C 16.5%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a slow cooker or crock pot combine beef, vegetables, aromatics (tied in a spice bag) and water. Stir to mix well
2. Close pot tightly with its lid.
3. Allow the beef and vegetables to cook on HIGH for about 4 hours, or cook on LOW for about 8 hours, if you are preparing the soup for supper.
4. Once meat is tender, using a slotted spoon remove beef shank to a platter.
5. Remove and discard spice bag.
6. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat off the bone.
7. Skim the fat from top off soup.
8. Add shredded meat pieces along seasonings.
9. Cover pot again and let heat on HIGH for 10 minutes
10. Ladle the hot broth, meat, and vegetables into warmed soup bowls or dishes.
11. Serve the soup hot accompanied with crusty bread or noodles.