- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Basbousa (Hareesa) Recipe Video
|Caster sugar||225 Gram|
|Greek yoghurt/Thick yogurt||340 Gram|
|Melted butter||50 Gram|
|Almonds||24 Medium, blanched|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Medium|
|Rose water/Orange water||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
Calories 143 Calories from Fat 24
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.3%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.5 mg
Sodium 61.5 mg2.6%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.62 g2.5%
Sugars 19.5 g
Protein 3 g5.8%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 1.9%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 1.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a saucepan, heat water with sugar and lemon juice, and bring to a gentle boil.
3. As the water starts to boil, let it boil vigorously for 8 to 10 minutes, until the syrup gets thickened and sugar thermometer reads 110°C.
4.Turn off the heat and add rose water or orange water, stir well and set aside.
5. In a bowl, put sugar, semolina and baking soda, and stir well using wooden spoon.
6. Add in the yogurt and stir well.
7. Beat in the melted butter.
8. In a well-greased 12” by 8” baking tray, pour the batter and spread it evenly using spatula.
9. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
10. Take the tray out and lightly press the blanched almonds at regular intervals.
11. Return the tray to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
12. Remove the tray and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
13. Place a chopping board on the baking tray and flip to invert the cake on the chopping board.
14. Place another board on the cake and flip again to bring the top up.
15. Using a serrated knife cut the cake in 24 even sized pieces.
16. Put the cake pieces back in the baking tray and pour ½ of the syrup on top and allow to soak.
17. Gently stream ½ of the remaining syrup and allow to soak.
18. Repeat the process to soak the cake, cake needs to be soaked well but should not be soggy.
19. Leave aside for 2 to 4 hours to cool completely.
20. Remove the cake on a serving plate and serve as desired.