- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barley Soup Recipe
|Pearl barley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Beef soup bone||2 Pound|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.2%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g46.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 100 mg33.3%
Sodium 343.1 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 25 g50.8%
Vitamin A 72.2% Vitamin C 15.7%
Calcium 1.6% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash and clean the barley and simmer in 2 cups of water for twenty minutes till it is soft.
2. Cook soup bone in water to cover until meat leaves bone; remove from stock.
3. Combine celery, carrots and potatoes in 1 quart beef stock and then simmer till tender.
4. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces; add to celery mixture. Add barley and salt. Simmer for several minutes longer.
5. Serve warm with toasted bread and fresh salads