- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barley With Caramelized Vegetables Recipe Video
|Vegetable broth||4 Cup (64 tbs) (or soup powder mixed with boiling water)|
|Pearl barley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon (divided)|
|Soup powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium (thinly sliced)|
|Orange bell pepper||1 Medium (cut into thin strips)|
|Mushroom||8 Ounce, sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely sliced|
|Zucchini||1 , cutting (halved lengthwise and then cut into thin strips)|
|Balsamic vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 211 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.6%
Saturated Fat 0.63 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 484.3 mg20.2%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.4%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 4 g8.9%
Vitamin A 21.8% Vitamin C 90.6%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a round bottom vessel heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil and toast the barley in it.
2. Make a soup broth by mixing the soup powder with 4 cups of boiling water.
3. Pour soup broth into the toasted barley and simmer for about 45 minutes.
4. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
5. Stir in sliced onions and cook until soft.
6. Stir in orange bell peppers, zucchini, garlic, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and cook for some time until they get softened up.
7. Serve cooked barley in a plate and spoon the vegetables over the barley.
8. Garnish the plate with ripe tomatoes or chopped cilantro.
You can prepare the barley the night before to cut down the timing when preparing the entire dish.
You can also add some chicken pieces, fish, beans or lentil to complete the protein group.