- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barley and Mung Bean Khichadi Recipe Video
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Medium|
|Whole cloves||6 Small|
|Onuion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), sliced|
|Ginger/Frozen ginger||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 Small, cut into half (Optional)|
|Barley||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked overnight in 1 1/2 cups water|
|Green mung beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked overnight in 1 1/2 cups water|
|Regular salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 38
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.7%
Saturated Fat 0.45 g2.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 129.7 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32.1%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 9 g17.1%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 7.8%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 14.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Separately soak barley and mung beans in water for overnight.
2. If you forget to soak them, boil them in water separately and let them soak in its boiling water for 1 hour before cooking.
3. In a small bowl, combine onion, garlic ginger and jalapeño.
4. In a 3 quart pan, heat canola oil and add the cinnamon stick, cloves and the onion mixture; mix and let it cook for few minutes for the flavors to combine.
5. Add the barley along with its water, add salt and turmeric; stir well, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the soaked mung beans; stir, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
7. Serve Barley and Mung bean khichadi for a delicious low carb meal.