- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barbecued Spare Ribs Recipe
|Pork spareribs||2 1⁄4 Pound (In One Piece, 1 .1 Kilogram)|
|For the marinade:|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Five spice powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Brandy/Whisky / rum||3 Tablespoon|
|Light soy sauce/Dark soy sauce||5 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3174 Calories from Fat 2171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 242 g372.1%
Saturated Fat 91.3 g456.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 792.3 mg264.1%
Sodium 6564.3 mg273.5%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.81 g3.3%
Sugars 15.9 g
Protein 178 g355.4%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 9.1%
Calcium 39.7% Iron 51.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas 8.
2. To prepare the ribs trim off and discard any excess fat and gristle from the ribs.
3. To prepare the marinade in a bowl combine crushed garlic, crushed fresh ginger, five-spice powder, soft brown sugar, brandy, whisky or rum and light or dark soy sauce.
4. Marinate the whole piece of the ribs in the marinade for 4-6 hours, turning or basting several times during the marinating.
5. To cook fill a large roasting or baking tin with about 1 pint (600 ml) boiling water, then place it on the bottom of a pre-heated oven.
6. Remove the spare-ribs from the marinade and insert two S-shaped meat hooks at each end of the ribs, and hang the whole piece from the highest rack in the oven the tin of water.
7. Roast the ribs for 15-20 minutes, then baste with the marinade, reduce the heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 and cook for 30-35 minutes more until the ribs are crisp and golden.
8. In a saucepan bring the marinade to the boil with the water and drippings from the baking tin and thicken with a little cornflour to make a sauce.
9. With a sharp knife cut the spare-ribs into individual ribs.
10. Alternately with a Chinese cleaver and then chop each rib into 3-4 bite-size pieces.
11. Pour some of the sauce over the ribs and serve hot.