- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barbecued Pork In Pita Pockets Recipe
|Boneless pork||1 Pound, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Onion||1 , minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato ketchup||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|White wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pita breads||4 (For Serving)|
|Lettuce leaves||4 (For Serving)|
|Tomatoes||4 , sliced (For Serving)|
|Green pepper||1 Small, seeded and cut into thin rings (For Serving)|
Calories 504 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g35.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 88.7 mg
Sodium 731.9 mg30.5%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.2%
Sugars 21.1 g
Protein 31 g61.3%
Vitamin A 50.9% Vitamin C 61.1%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Maintain the temperature in the broiler at High.
2) Take a large heavy-based skillet and melt butter in it.
3) Add honey to this and brown the pork at a comparatively high flame, frequently tossing.
4) Add onion and garlic (if planning to use) to this and lower the flame and cook for another 5 minutes.
5) Take a bowl and dilute tomato ketchup with water and pour into the skillet.
6) Add all the remaining ingredients to this and stir well and season with salt and pepper.
7) Allow the mixture to reach the boiling point.
8) Further lower the flame and uncover and simmer the meat and sauce for 30 minutes till the pork is soft and the sauce is thickened and reduced.
9) Broil the pita breads very lightly in the preheated broiler and open them with a round-bladed knife by cutting lengthwise.
10) Fill each pita half with a lettuce leaf, a few tomato slices and green pepper rings and then with a little pork and sauce.
11) Serve at once on transferring to a serving plate.