- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barbecued Bean Pot Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Canned mixed beans||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Vegetable stock||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Molasses sugar/Molasses||1 Tablespoon|
|Tvp||12 Ounce (Soy Cubes)|
Calories 806 Calories from Fat 209
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.6%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg
Sodium 717 mg29.9%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 30 g120.2%
Sugars 22.1 g
Protein 53 g105.1%
Vitamin A 164.2% Vitamin C 34.6%
Calcium 39.7% Iron 50.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter or margarine
2. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until limp.
3. Add the carrots and celery, and continue to sautÃ© another 2 minutes
4. Tip in the spices and sautÃ© until aromatic.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, mixed beans, vegetable stock. and molasses sugar or molasses. Bring to a boil before reducing heat.
6. Simmer mixture for 30 minutes, stirring once in a while.
7. When vegetables and beans are tender, add the TVP cubes and seasonings.
8. Place the casserole on a barbecue or in a moderate oven, to keep hot.
9. Ladle the stew into deep dish plates.
10. Serve hot accompanied by crusty bread.