- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Banku With Okra Soup Recipe Video
|Corn flour/Null||400 Gram (Null)|
|Grated cassava/400 grams cassava flour (recommended)||600 Gram (Null)|
|Water/Null||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Null)|
|Salt/Null||1 Teaspoon (Null)|
|Corn dough/Null||400 Gram (Null)|
|Cassava dough/Null||400 Gram (Null)|
|Water/Null||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Null)|
|Salt/Null||1 Teaspoon (Null)|
|Okra/Null||200 Gram, chopped (Null)|
|Meat/Null||200 Gram, cut into small piecess (Beef, Goat Or Your Favorite)|
|Dried shrimp/1 smoked fish||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Null)|
|Palm oil/Null||3 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Onion/Null||1 , sliced (Null)|
|Eggplant/2 garden eggs||1 Large (Null)|
|Grated ginger/Null||1 Teaspoon (Null)|
|Tomato/Null||1 Large, mashed (Null)|
|Baking soda/Null||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Null)|
|Chili pepper/Null||To Taste (Null)|
|Salt/Null||To Taste (Null)|
|Water/Null||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Null)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6731 Calories from Fat 659
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 74 g114.2%
Saturated Fat 30.9 g154.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 156 mg52%
Sodium 6783.9 mg282.7%
Total Carbohydrates 1415 g471.6%
Dietary Fiber 58.6 g234.5%
Sugars 34.1 g
Protein 57 g114.2%
Vitamin A 49.6% Vitamin C 353%
Calcium 37.9% Iron 60.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare banku, grate the cassava or use cassava flour if you can.
2. In a large bowl add the corn flour and grated cassava (or cassava flour); dampen with water to form dough.
3. When the dough is well mixed, cover the bowl with a cloth and set in a warm place for 2 or 3 days, you set it inside a warm oven or wrap it in a heavy cloth.
4. The fermenting process may take longer if you are living in a cold place; the fermenting process may take up to 4 days (the dough is fermented when it has a sour smell). If you don’t want to do this yourself buy some corn and cassava dough from your African food store.
5. Mix the fermented dough with 1 cup of water to make a watery paste.
6. Strain it in a colander.
7. Use a deep bowl or spoon to shape the Banku into your desire size.
8. For the sauce place the meat in a casserole and season with salt, don’t put any water.
9. Put the fire on medium and let the meat simmer until all the juice is absorbed.
10. Remove and set aside.
11. Peel the eggplant and cut into medium cubes.
12. Then in the same casserole add the eggplant with 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer until tender, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
13. Mash it, remove and set aside.
12. Heat a large saucepan and add the palm oil.
14. Sauté the onion and ginger until brown.
15. Add the mashed tomato and let simmer for 5minutes.
16. Add the dried shrimp (or smoked fish), the cooked meat, the eggplant puree and one bouillon cube.
17. Stir all together and let simmer at low heat for 10 minutes.
18. In another casserole add the chopped okra, 1 cup of water and the baking soda.
19. Bring it to a boil and stir well for 5 minutes.
20. Transfer the cooked okra in the main pot and add 1 or 2 cups of water depending on the consistency you want.
21. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
22. Finish the soup by seasoning with chili pepper and salt.
23. Serve the banku hot with the okra soup and enjoy!