- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baklava Rolls - Ramadan Recipe Video
|Dry ingredients for the filling|
|Ground walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry fruits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely (Dried cranberries and mango used)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Pinch|
|For the baklava|
|Pastry dough||1 Medium|
|Melted unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (To spread on the pastry dough)|
|To grease the baking pan|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (For greasing the baking pan)|
|For the sugar syrup|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Rose flavored water||2 Drop|
|For the garnish|
|Ground almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Powdered pistachios||1 Tablespoon|
|Slivered almonds||1 Teaspoon|
|Slivered pistachios||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 219 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g23.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.6 mg
Sodium 69.8 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.8%
Sugars 12.7 g
Protein 2 g4.2%
Vitamin A 2.2% Vitamin C 0.61%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Flat brush - to spread butter
2. Baking pan
1. To prepare the filling, in a bowl, add ground walnuts, dry fruits, brown sugar, cardamom powder and cinnamon powder. Mix all these dry ingredients very well and keep aside.
2. Preheat the oven at 350 F. Lightly grease a baking pan with the unsalted melted butter.
3. Take the fillo pastry dough (thawed), spread a single sheet on a flat surface. Using a brush, spread melted butter on the surface of the pastry sheet. Then place another pastry dough sheet on top of it and brush it with butter as well.
4. Spread the filling mixture over the top and roll it from one end, brushing with melted butter at intervals while rolling. Once rolled, line them one by one into the greased baking pan.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a pot take sugar, water and little bit of fresh lime juice. Heat the pot until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the temperature, simmer it and stir for about 5 to 10 minutes until the sugar syrup thickens. Add rose syrup and turn off the stove.
7. Once the baklava is baked, take it out of the oven and cut it into pieces. Then, pour the prepared sugar syrup over the top to glaze the baklavas.
8. Garnish with powdered almonds and pistachios followed by some slivered almonds and pistachios on top.
9. Serve the baklava as it is or with a cup of coffee.
Honey and coffee flavored syrup can be prepared as well.
For those who are allergic to nuts, this dessert can be prepared with coconut and dry fruits.