- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Shelled walnuts||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Phyllo/Strudel pastry leaves||16 Ounce (2 Package)|
|Unsalted butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5571 Calories from Fat 2523
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 295 g454.2%
Saturated Fat 76.2 g381%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.9 mg
Sodium 2505.3 mg104.4%
Total Carbohydrates 683 g227.7%
Dietary Fiber 32.9 g131.7%
Sugars 362.6 g
Protein 89 g178.2%
Vitamin A 57.9% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 41.5% Iron 105%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Brush bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with melted butter or margarine. Fold two phyllo leaves in half; place on the bottom of pan; brush with butter. Place two more folded leaves in pan; brush with butter. (Keep rest of pastry leaves covered with a clean damp kitchen towel to prevent drying out.)
3. Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup nut mixture. Add two more folded leaves; brush with butter.
4. Repeat five more times. Stack remaining pastry leaves; brushing every other one. Brush top leaf with remaining butter; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon water.
5. With a sharp knife, mark off the BAKLAVA. Cut through only the top layer of the phyllo, making 5 lengthwise cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart (you will have 6 equal strips). Then cut diagonally again at 1 1/2 -inch intervals, making diamonds (9 strips). This is the traditional shape of the baklava.
6. Bake in a slow oven (325°) 50 , minutes, or until top is golden. Remove pan to wire rack. Cut all the way through the diamonds; separating slightly. Pour cooled honey syrup over. Cool thoroughly in pan on rack. Cover with foil; let stand overnight for , syrup to be absorbed. No refrigeration necessary.