- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Simple Baking Powder Biscuits Recipe
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Lard/Hydrogenated vegetable shortening / all-purpose shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.3%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.1 mg6.4%
Sodium 532.4 mg22.2%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 5 g10.4%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C
Calcium 22.2% Iron 12.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
4. Make a well in center of mixture and add milk all at one time.
5. Stir with fork until dough follows fork.
6. Gently form dough into a ball and put on a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly with finger tips 10 to 15 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness, keeping thickness uniform. Cut with floured cutter, using an even pressure to keep sides of biscuits straight. Place on baking sheet, close together for soft-sided biscuits, or 1 in. apart for crusty sides. Brush tops of biscuits with milk.
7. Bake at 450°F 10 to 15 min., or until biscuits are golden, brown.