- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baked Stuffed Herrings Recipe
|For the stuffing|
|Cooking apple||1 , very finely chopped or grated|
|Breadcrumbs||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon (1 Heaped Breadcrumbs)|
|Shredded suet||1 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 (For Garnish)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Calories 677 Calories from Fat 362
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.8%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g63.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 180 mg
Sodium 343.9 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 56 g111.5%
Vitamin A 31.8% Vitamin C 81.6%
Calcium 22.8% Iron 27.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at 380°F.
2. Tell your fishmonger to gut the herrings from the head end and make sure he does not slit the belly. Wash the fish and use a knife to scrape off the scales. Work from tail to head while scraping.
3. Finely mix all the ingredients together to make the filling.
4. Season and pack with stuffing in the fish’s cavity.
5. Take a well-buttered dish and place the stuffed fish in it. Cover with buttered paper and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and dish up. Garnish lemon and parsley on the top.
7. Serve sautéed potatoes and grilled tomatoes together.