- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baked Smelts Italian Style Recipe
|Dressed smelts||2 Pound|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Melted fat/Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||28 Ounce, undrained (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Oregano||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
Calories 400 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.8%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.9 mg44%
Sodium 974.3 mg40.6%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.8%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 37 g73.7%
Vitamin A 35.5% Vitamin C 41.9%
Calcium 33.3% Iron 26.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a saucepan, melt fat and cook onion and garlic until tender.
3. To the saucepan, add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and pepper; mix well.
4. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the flavours blend together and the sauce thickens slightly.
5. Stir often during cooking.
6. Add parsley and stir.
7. In a shallow baking dish, pour the sauce up to 2-3 quart height.
8. Place smelt inside the sauce in a single layer.
9. Top it with cheese and sprinkle salt.
10. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the fish flakes easily.
11. Serve with chilli sauce.