- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Garbanzo Bean Falafel Recipe Video
|Garbanzo beans||15 Ounce, cooked, drained (1 can)|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Cilantro leaves/Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Corriander seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Baking soda/Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Spinach leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Tomatoes||1 Small, sliced|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 Small, sliced|
|Pepperoncini||1⁄2 Small, sliced|
|Sandwich bread||8 Medium, slices|
Calories 590 Calories from Fat 98
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.1%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 363.8 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 23.5 g93.8%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 29 g58.8%
Vitamin A 53.7% Vitamin C 29.2%
Calcium 26.3% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a baking tray and spread a baking sheet on it.
1. Put all the ingredients (except the flour) in a food processor starting with the Garbanzo beans (also called chick peas), then the spices and the lemon juice last. Process until the mixture is coarsely pureed.
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour until well blended.
3. Create 4 large and thin patties (as as to ensure it is crisp on the outside and well cooked on the inside) using the palm of your hand about 3 inches by 1/2 inch.
4. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and let them stand for 15 minutes.
5. Bake them at 400 F for 25 minutes turning them over after 15 minutes. The filafel is done when it is golden brown in color on both sides.
6. Take sandwich bread, spread some humus on one slice and put on them some spinach, tomatoes, peproncini, cucumbers and filafel and close the sandwich. The sandwich is now ready to eat.