- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe Video
|For the tomato sauce|
|Tomato puree||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, dice|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Fresh basil leaves||4 Small|
|Eggplant||3 Pound, slice|
|Kosher salt||1 Tablespoon (Salt rub and salt is washed away)|
|Caciocavallo cheese||11 Ounce, slice|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 378 Calories from Fat 174
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.9%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.9 mg
Sodium 512.6 mg21.4%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.5%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 20 g39.5%
Vitamin A 26.2% Vitamin C 51.7%
Calcium 26.7% Iron 26.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedSlicer
1. Trim the top of the eggplant and slice then about 1 centimeter thick, using a slicer.
2. Once done place a sieve or strainer on a large glass bowl, layer the sliced eggplants, sprinkle a pinch of salt between every layer.
3. Once done cover it with a plate and place a heavy weight on top of the plate, let the eggplant sweat for 1 ½ hour.
4. Dice the onions and mince the garlic, set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 200⁰C/395⁰F, before you start layering the eggplants.
6. In large saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic with olive oil, sauté over medium heat until the onions become soft and translucent.
7. Add the tomato puree and combine, once everything is cooked through drizzle olive oil and fresh basil leaves.
8. After 1 ½ hour drain the water and rinse each eggplant slices under running water to get rid of all the excess salt.
9. Once done pat them dry with paper towel, in a frying pour vegetable oil and fry the eggplant, place it on a paper towel for the excess oil to drain.
10. In a casserole dish add a thin layer of tomato sauce and the start layering the eggplants at the bottom, next add some more sauce and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
11. Finally place slices of caciocavallo cheese, follow the same steps until all eggplants are finished and you have the last layer of tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.
12. Bake it in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
13. Once done let the eggplant parmigiana cool for some time.
14. Serve the eggplant parmigiana along with a slice of Italian bread.
If you have layered the eggplant horizontally in the first layer, then for the second layer arrange it vertically.