- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baked Chocolate Sponge Pie Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|9 inch unbaked pie shell||1|
Calories 522 Calories from Fat 235
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.2%
Saturated Fat 14.3 g71.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 133.4 mg
Sodium 220.7 mg9.2%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.7%
Sugars 39.4 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 8.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 12.1% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. In a bowl cream butter with 2/3 cup of sugar by using the electric mixter.
3. Fold in flour and cocoa and blend well.
4. Fold in egg yolks and whip the mixture well. Ensure that only one eggs are added at a time.
5. Add milk and vanilla.
6. In a bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gradually fold in egg 1/3 cup of sugar and continue beating unless the egg whites stand in peaks.
7. Add egg whites to the chocolate mixture and spread it over the unbaked pie shell.
8. In a hot oven bake for 15 minutes at 425° F, and continue baking for another half an hour by reducing the temperature to 325° F. Ensure that you stop baking when the surface starts giving out the feeling of firmness.
9. Serve the pie after topping with whipped cream.