- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baked Apple Dumplings Recipe
|Cooking apples||8 , peeled (Firm)|
|Superfine caster sugar||4 1⁄2 Ounce (130 Gram / 2/3 Cup)|
|Double heavy cream||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Whipped cream||4 Tablespoon (Extra For Serving)|
|Vanilla essence||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon, Extract)|
|Maple syrup||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter / 1 Cup)|
|Plain flour||18 Ounce (475 Gram / 4 1/2 Cups, All Purpose)|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|Butter/White vegetable fat||12 Ounce, diced (350 Gram /1 1/2 Cups)|
|Chilled water||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter / 1 Cup)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6467 Calories from Fat 2839
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 323 g496.9%
Saturated Fat 201.2 g1006.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 878.9 mg
Sodium 1122.3 mg46.8%
Total Carbohydrates 866 g288.8%
Dietary Fiber 41 g164.2%
Sugars 397.9 g
Protein 40 g80.9%
Vitamin A 196.2% Vitamin C 92.4%
Calcium 43% Iron 34.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sprinkle over 175ml/6fl oz/3/4 cup water and mix until the dough holds together, adding a little more water if necessary. Gather into a ball. Wrap the dough in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
3. Cutting from the stem end, core the apples without cutting through the base. Roll out the pastry thinly. Cut squares almost large enough to enclose the apples; brush with egg white and set an apple in the centre of each.
4. Cut pastry rounds to cover the tops of the apples. Reserve the trimmings. Combine the sugar, cream and vanilla essence in a small bowl. Spoon into the hollow of each apple.
5. Place a pastry circle on top of each apple, then bring up the sides of the pastry square to enclose it, pleating the larger piece of pastry to make a snug fit around the apple. Moisten the joins where they overlap.
6. Make apple stalks and leaves from the pastry trimmings and decorate the dumplings. Set them in a large greased baking dish, at least 2cm/3/4in apart. Bake for 30 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and continue baking for 20 minutes more until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender.
7. Transfer the dumplings to a serving dish. Mix the maple syrup with the juices in the baking dish and drizzle over the dumplings. Serve hot with whipped cream.