- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baingan Bhartha - Roasted Eggplant Curry, Masala Chaas (Spicy Buttermilk) and Bajra(Millet) Roti Recipe Video
|For the baingan bhartha|
|Eggplant||1 Large, cut the top (Roasted and mashed)|
|Plain yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon, divided (1 tablespoon oil spread on the eggplant before roasting in the oven)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Tomato||1 , diced|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), chopped finely|
|Frozen green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Curry powder/Garam masala||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||To Taste (Optional)|
|For the masala chaas|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As required. No water required if buttermilk is used)|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|For the bajra roti|
|Bajra flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as needed to knead the dough)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 194
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.7%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.1 mg
Sodium 844.5 mg35.2%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.3%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 14 g28.7%
Vitamin A 37.3% Vitamin C 37.2%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 45.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. A masher
1. Line a baking sheet/tray with foil, set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
3. Take a large eggplant, spread some vegetable oil on it and make scores on the surface with a knife.
4. Place the eggplant on the lined baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, turn the side of the eggplant and roast again for another 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Once done, take the eggplant out of the oven, peel off the skin slowly and put it into a bowl. With the help of a masher, mash it well.
7. Add the plain yogurt and using a hand blender, blend well.
8. Heat a pan with oil, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chili paste, ginger paste, garlic paste and stir a little.
9. Add the thinly sliced onions or chopped green onions, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Stir and let it cook a little bit.
10. Add the green peas and the mashed eggplant-yogurt mixture. Stir and mix everything well.
11. Add a little water, garam masala or curry powder and stir. Finally add salt and sugar (optional) to taste. Mix well.
12. Serve the baingan bhartha with bajra roti and masala chaas.
To prepare the Masala Chaas:
1. Take a bowl, add yogurt, water (as required) and using a hand blender combine the two together.
2. To this add green chili paste, garlic paste, cumin powder, salt, sugar and freshly chopped cilantro. Stir well.
3. Serve fresh along with a meal.
To prepare the bajra roti:
1. In a mixing bowl, add the bajra flour, salt and gradually add water a little at a time and knead the dough.
2. Take small portions of the kneaded dough, dust it with flour and roll using a roller pin on the board.
3. Heat a tava and bake the rolled out rotis, flipping sides until done.
4. Spread a little ghee on the surface of the rotis before serving.
5. Serve hot with any Indian dish of your choice.