- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bagna Cauda Recipe
|Cucumber||1 , peeled, seeded and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips|
|Sweet red pepper||1 , seeded and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips|
|Green pepper||1 , seeded and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips|
|Celery sticks||4 , sticks, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips|
|Spring onions||1 Bunch (100 gm), trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths|
|Lettuce head||1 Small, broken into separate leaves|
|Fresh mushrooms||4 Ounce, left whole if small, quartered if large|
|Italian bread sticks||8 (Use As Required)|
|Double cream||3⁄4 Pint|
|Flat anchovy fillets||8 , drained, rinsed and finely chopped|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (Use A Scant Measure)|
Calories 665 Calories from Fat 533
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.5%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g37.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.8 mg
Sodium 651.6 mg27.2%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.5%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 9 g17.4%
Vitamin A 251.7% Vitamin C 169%
Calcium 12% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl pour enough water to soak the vegetable strips and pit in some ice cubes in it, soak the vegetables for an hour to make them crisp.
2. Remove from water, pat dry on paper towel and arrange on a serving dish with lettuce leaves, tomatoes and mushrooms.
3. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminium foil and keep it in the fridge.
4. Keep the bread sticks on a separate plate and keep aside.
5. In a 2 pint heavy enamelled or stainless steel saucepan, add the cream and bring to a boil.
6. Lower the heat and cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until it becomes thick and has reduced to about 3/8 pint.
7. Take a 1 1/2 to 2 pint enamelled cast iron or flameproof earthenware casserole (that fits over a candle warmer, spirit lamp or electric hotplate) and melt the butter in it over low heat on the stove, do not let it brown.
8. Put in the anchovies and garlic, the reduced cream and the optional truffle, and simmer the sauce, stirring constantly without boiling it.
9. Serve it immediately, accompanied by the crisp vegetables and the bread sticks.
To eat, pick up a vegetable or bread stick and dip it into the hot sauce and munch it on.
If the butter and cream separate in between due to heating, beat with a wire whisk.