- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2237 Calories from Fat 48
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.9%
Saturated Fat 0.91 g4.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5843.6 mg243.5%
Total Carbohydrates 477 g158.9%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.3%
Sugars 46.5 g
Protein 59 g118.6%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.02%
Calcium 10.2% Iron 147.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast and 1 3/4 cups flour.
3) Then add water, sugar and salt to the mix.
4) Beat at a low speed for 1/2 minute, then beat again at high speed for 3 minutes.
5) Add more flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
6) Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.
7) Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
8) Now, divide the dough into 12 portions.
9) Shape the dough into smooth balls and punch a hole in the center of each with a floured finger.
10) Pull gently to enlarge the hole, keeping the shape uniform.
11) Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
12) Meanwhile, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil.
13) Reduce to simmer.
14) In the simmering water, cook bagels, 4 or 5 at a time for 7 minutes turning once.
15) Drain the bagels on a paper towel.
16) Sprinkle with a topping, if desired and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
17) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
18) Serve as a snack, with your favorite drink.