- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Korean Bar Chu Kim Chi Recipe Video
|Napa cabbage head||1|
|Garlic bulb||3 (Or As Needed)|
|Ginger||3 Inch, cut up into small pieces for the blender/food processor.|
|Fish sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Scallions||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Ground chili pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Korean Style)|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Daikon||1⁄2 Large (Asian Radish)|
|Rice flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g6.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1851.6 mg77.1%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.4 g69.7%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 245.5% Vitamin C 120.4%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 38.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove the stem at bottom with small knife and a “V” cut. Then cut the halves into quarters.
3. Cut up each quarter into 1 and 2 inch strips. I use a slightly diagonal cut.
4. Take a large pot and fill with some water, the pot should be able to hold at least a gallon of water.
5. Add 4 to 5 ounces of salt and mix until salt is dissolved in water.
6. Put cut up cabbage into the pot and add water to just cover the cabbage.
7. Press cabbage down into water and cabbage will begin to soften fairly quickly.
8. Cover pot and let stand with cabbage in it for 1 to 2 hours. I like 2 hours but I have let it go as long as 4 hours.
9. About half way through the soaking add your scallions and make sure they are cut up into 1 inch pieces or longer if you wish.
10. After you let the cabbage soak for however long you choose it is time to strain it and squeeze it.
11. Pour cabbage into a collander and strain it. Wash off excess salt and squeeze out excess water gently. Let cabbage stand for 20 minutes.
12. While the cabbage is resting it is time to make the rice flour glue that allows the ingredients to stick to the Kim Chi.