- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bacon with Mustard Glaze Recipe
|Middle gammon joint||4 Pound (2 Kilograms)|
|Gammon joint||4 Pound (1 Joint, 2 Kilogram)|
|For the mustard glaze|
|Sugar||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Demerara sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , freshly squeezed|
|Prepared mustard||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 417 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.7%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 42.7 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.33 g1.3%
Sugars 24.3 g
Protein 65 g129.1%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 0.6% Iron 0.77%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the gammon overnight in cold water.
2. Drain and rinse well.
3. Weigh the cut of meat.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C or Gas No. 4) before baking the gammon.
5. In a large saucepan, place gammon adding peppercorns, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon of the Demerara sugar to it.
6. Pour in enough cold water to cover the gammon.
7. Heat slowly, about 30 minutes, until water reaches a boil.
8. Reduce the heat and let the gammon cook on a simmer for about 50 minutes
9. In the mean time, make the glaze for the gammon by combining sugar, lemon juice, water and mustard in a saucepan.
10. Simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves
11. Increase temperature and boil until it turns into syrup.
12. When half-cooked, remove gammon from cooking liquid onto a meat board.
13. Use a sharp knife and a kitchen cloth to hold the meat, slice off the rind.
14. Score a diamond pattern into the fat side.
15. Arrange in a roasting pan.
16. Brush generously with the prepared glaze.
17. Place the joint on the middle level of the preheated oven.
18. Cook for 40 to 60 minutes or remaining cooking time, basting frequently with the glaze, until the gammon is evenly glazed and golden.
19. Let cool before serving.
20. Place on a platter and carve at the tables.
21. Serve with mustard on the side.