- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bacon Stew Pot Recipe
|Collar bacon||1 1⁄2 Pound, rind and fat removed and diced (675 gram piece)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 gram)|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Leeks||3 , trimmed and sliced|
|Flour||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Ham stock/Chicken stock||3⁄4 Pint (450 milliliter)|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Canned butter beans||7 Ounce, drained (1 can, 200 gram)|
|Freshly chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 176
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g43.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45.2 mg
Sodium 763.4 mg31.8%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 14 g27.8%
Vitamin A 77.9% Vitamin C 27.3%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan, cover the bacon with water and bring slowly to the boil.
2. Strain and leave to drain on paper towels.
3. In a pan, melt the butter add the onion and leeks and fry until soft.
4. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the stock.
5. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then remove the pan from the heat and add the carrot, bacon and pepper to taste.
6. With cover, cook gently for 1 1/4 hours.
7. Heat through adding the butter and beans for 5 minutes.
8. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly, then turn into a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
9. To serve the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours, then reheat on top of the stove, stirring occasionally.
10. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.