- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bacon and Mushroom Flan Recipe
|Shortcrust pastry||1⁄4 Pound (100 Gram)|
|For the filling|
|Lean bacon rashers||3|
|Button mushrooms||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Ounce (8 Gram)|
|For the sauce|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste (Or Milled)|
|Grated cheddar cheese||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
Calories 276 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.4%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 51.8 mg
Sodium 361.9 mg15.1%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Thaw the pastry if store bought or prepare your favorite pastry recipe.
2. On a lightly floured work table, roll the pastry out into a circle, 1-inch larger than a 7 or 8-inch flan ring or quiche tin.
3. Carefully lift the pastry and use it to line the ring, neatly trimming the edges.
4. Fill the pastry with some dried beans to blind bake.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or Gas No. 5)
6. Trim bacon rashers and chop finely.
7. Peel and finely chop the onion.
8. Wipe and trim the mushrooms.
9. When the oven is hot, bake the pastry shell for 10 to 12 minutes until dry and pale.
10. Remove from oven, empty out beans and let cool while preparing the filling.
11. Heat a small frying pan.
12. When hot, add chopped bacon and sautÃ© until fat is rendered.
13. Add the onion to the pan and sautÃ© with bacon until limp but not brown.
14. Tip the onion and bacon mixture into the baked flan shell and spread evenly on the bottom.
15. In a small saucepan, place mushrooms and butter.
16. Pour enough water to cover them.
17. Simmer for 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
18. Drain mushrooms and keep aside.
19. In saucepan, melt butter for the sauce.
20. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute by stirring.
21. Gradually add milk and stir until well blended with flour-butter.
22. Simmer, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly and flour is cooked.
23. Take pan off the heat and season sauce to taste.
24. Blend in the cream and stir in the cooked mushrooms.
25. Pour the sauce and mushrooms over the bacon and onion mixture in the flan case. Spread evenly.
26. Top with cheese.
27. Just before serving, place the flan under a hot broiler for 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and cheese melts to a golden brown.
28. Remove flan ring and place flan on serving platter.
29. Cut into wedges and serve warm accompanied by a salad on the side.