- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bacon and Cabbage Casserole Recipe
|White cabbage head||1 Medium|
|Canadian bacon||1⁄2 Pound|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||1⁄2 Pound|
Calories 723 Calories from Fat 527
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91%
Saturated Fat 24.8 g124.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 160.1 mg
Sodium 1060.8 mg44.2%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.1%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 36 g71.3%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 86.5%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 13.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) Discard any marked outer leaves of the cabbage.
3) Save two or three good leaves.
4) Cut the remaining cabbage in half.
5) Remove the core, then shred the cabbage.
6) Peel and chop the onions.
7) Chop Canadian bacon.
8) In a saucepan of cold water, put shredded cabbage leaves with reserved leaves.
9) Bring to a boil and drain.
10) Set aside.
11) In a large saucepan, melt the lard, add the onions and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
12) Add bacon to the saucepan.
13) Cook for 2-3 minutes.
14) Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until brown.
15) Add the caraway seeds, broth and seasoning.
16) Simmer for 10 minutes.
17) In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
18) In the bottom of an ovenproof dish, put half of the shredded cabbage and pour the melted butter over.
19) Spread the beef mixture evenly over the cabbage.
20) Cover with remaining shredded cabbage and top with whole leaves.
21) Arrange the bacon slices over the top of the cabbage.
22) Bake for 45 minutes.
23) Serve the hot casserole with crusty bread and green salad.