- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baby Bisteeyas Recipe
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (1 Can)|
|Coriander||1 Teaspoon (1 Can)|
|Saffron threads||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, unsalted|
|Blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, garnish|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 Large, well beaten|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 913 Calories from Fat 447
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.4%
Saturated Fat 20.9 g104.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 397.3 mg
Sodium 1887.5 mg78.6%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 47 g94.4%
Vitamin A 33% Vitamin C 24.8%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 29.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large bowl, place the chicken thighs, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, coriander, ginger, and saffron, toss well to coat. Marinate covered for 2 hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
2) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3) In a large heavy pot, place the chicken with the marinade. Then stir in the broth and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, gently simmer
covered on a low heat for 1 hour.
4) In a bowl, remove the chicken pieces and keep aside.
5) Strain and return the broth into the pot. Boil over high heat for about 10 minutes to reduce the broth to 2 cups.
6) In a medium skillet, saute the almonds in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
7) In a bowl, finely chop the almonds and mix with the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon, keep aside.
8) Into the reduced broth, add the lemon juice and gently simmer for another 10 minutes.
9) Stir continuously on a medium and gradually pour in the beaten eggs. Then stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the eggs are set but not dry and most of the liquid has evaporated.
10) Season with salt, if needed, allow to cool to room temperature,
then shred the meat from the bones and keep aside.
11) Brush 5 phyllo pastry squares with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the almond mixture with a gap of 1-inch border around the edges. Spread 1/3 cup of the egg mixture and cover with 2 pastry squares, brushing each with melted butter.
12) Add 1/3 cup of shredded chicken and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the almond mixture. Then fold up the edges about 1 inch to cover the topping.
13) Place 3 pastry squares on top, brush each square with the melted butter, then gently mold the top layers of pastry under the mound to fold neatly. Repeat to make 6 packages.
14) Place on a baking sheet and bake the bisteeyas in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
15) Dust with the confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon and serve immediately on individual serving plates.