- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baba Au Rhum Recipe
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package , Active Dry Or Compressed)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Not Hot)|
|Lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 74.4 mg
Sodium 275.6 mg11.5%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 43.9 g
Protein 6 g11.8%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 0.67%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat milk to scalding point and stir in sugar and shortening. Keep aside to cool to lukewarm temperature
2. Grease a muffin pan with oil or butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F 20 minutes before baking time.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add warm water and crumble in yeast.
5. Stir until yeast dissolves and you see bubbles appearing on the surface.
4. Add lukewarm milk mixture, beaten egg and lemon peel and mix well
5. Gradually stir in flour to make a smooth thick batter.
6. Cover the bowl and keep in a warm place to ferment and rise for 6 hours.
7. Beat batter until smooth and elastic.
8. Divide into the greased muffin cups, filling them ½ full
9. Keep aside for 20 minutes until they rise to fill the cups
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and invert onto a wire rack to cool
12. In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar and molasses
13. Boil for 10 minutes until syrupy.
14. Take off the heat and stir in the rum when slightly cooled.
15. Arrange the babas in dessert bowls and pour the hot syrup over them
16. Allow to cool before serving
17. Serve the baba au rum topped with whipped cream if desired.
18. Pour remaining syrup into a sauceboat and pass at the table.