- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato, Turnip, and Leek Chowder Recipe Video
|Unsalted butter||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Turnips||3 Medium, dice (cut into 1/2 inch, reserve the greens)|
|Leeks||2 Large, peeled, cut into very small pieces (wash in cold water)|
|Yukon gold potatoes||2 Pound, dice (into 1/2" dice)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||5|
|Sherry vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the garnish|
|Fresh thyme||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Emmental cheese||3 Ounce, grated|
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 83
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g28.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.9 mg
Sodium 758.9 mg31.6%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 10 g20.6%
Vitamin A 41.4% Vitamin C 49%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 15.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedDutch oven
1. In a Dutch oven melt butter and sauté the turnip until brown, season with salt.
2. Add the leeks and stir until leeks are softens, season with salt.
3. Add the potatoes; pour water, add thyme sprigs, kosher salt and dried sherry.
4. Cover and bring it to a boil, and then remove the lid and continue to simmer.
5. In a bowl combine place the chopped greens from the turnips.
6. Pull out the thyme from the soup and using a masher mash everything coarsely.
7. Add the turnip greens mixture and stir everything together.
8. Season with ground pepper and adjust the salt to taste.
9. Turn off the heat and pour the sherry vinegar and fresh thyme.
10. When serving put some grated Emmental cheese on top.
11. Serve the Potato, Turnip and Leek Chowder hot.