- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Autumn Lentil Soup Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Celery||2 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Corn/1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels||3 , kernels removed|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 771 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.6%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 164.1 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 150 g49.9%
Dietary Fiber 24.3 g97.3%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 25 g50.1%
Vitamin A 100% Vitamin C 73%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 41.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat, saute the onion, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and sautÃ© the garlic until it is fragrant.
2. Add the carrots, celery, red bell pepper, a pinch of salt, cover the pot and steam-saute the vegetables, stirring them often, for 6 minutes.
3. Stir in the lentils to combine them well and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add the water, bring the ingredients to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the lentils are tender, approximately 40 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, scallions, corn, cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice and simmer the soup 2 minutes longer.
6. Season the soup with the salt and pepper and serve.