- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Authentic and Traditional Hummus Recipe Video
|Yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garbanzo beans||1 Can (10 oz) (Chickpeas)|
|Tahini||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Sesame Seed Paste)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely minced|
|Citric acid||1⁄4 Teaspoon (If You Need More Lemon Taste)|
|Water||2 Tablespoon (If Too Thick)|
|Fresh basil leaves/Roasted pepper, basil, rosemary||1 Cup (16 tbs) (A Handful)|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Chickpeas||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Olives||4 (A Few, For Garnish)|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Cayenne pepper/Paprika||1 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|Pita chips||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.1%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.2 mg
Sodium 247.1 mg10.3%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.2%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 16 g31.4%
Vitamin A 27.4% Vitamin C 60.7%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 29%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a food processor, first add the garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.
2. Next add, yogurt, tahini, water and mint leaves.
3. Optional, if your consistency is the way you want, but you want more lemon flavor, add citric acid to enhance the flavor.
4. You can refrigerate it in an airtight container for about a week.
4. Spread the hummus in a nice plate and garnish with red pepper slices, chick peas, olives, parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil
5. Serve with pita bread, crackers or vegetables.
6. You can pipe it into small pastry shells and garnish it with paprika and or parsley to serve as an appetizer.
7. You can also top the hummus with cooked and spiced ground beef and roasted pine nuts. Serve as a main dish with pita bread.
If you don't want to use canned chick peas, purchase dried chick peas, soak in a bowl of water to the brim, overnight. Drain the chick peas and pour them into a large pot, with water to the brim just to cover the chick peas, add 1 tbs baking soda, cook on medium low heat for 1 hour or until the chick peas are tender and easy to smash with our finger.