- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Austrian Breaded Fried Chicken Recipe
|Frying chicken||3 Pound, skinned, cut into 8 serving pieces and skinned|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon wedges||4 (For Garnishing)|
Calories 1385 Calories from Fat 988
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 110 g168.8%
Saturated Fat 38.1 g190.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 361.9 mg
Sodium 1824.7 mg76%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.8%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 69 g138.5%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 20.5%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a baking dish, toss the chicken with the lemon juice until all the pieces are thoroughly moistened.
2) Marinate for about 1 1/2 hours, turning the pieces occasionally.
3) Before frying, pat the pieces dry with paper towels, then salt them generously, dip them in the flour and shake off the excess.
4) Then dip them in the egg.
5) Roll each piece of chicken in the breadcrumbs to coat it evenly.
6) In a heavy 12-inch skillet, heat the lard until a light haze forms over it. (The melted fat should be about 1/4 inch deep and should be kept at that depth.)
7) Using tongs, add about half the chicken pieces.
8) When these are a deep golden brown on one side, turn them with the tongs.
9) If the chicken is cut into small pieces, transfer each to paper towels to drain before serving.
10) If the pieces are larger, put each browned piece into the baking dish in the oven.
11) In either case replace the cooked piece with an uncooked one as you fry it.
12) Chicken cut into 6 pieces should be baked 5 to 10 minutes.
13) One cut into 4 pieces should be baked 10 to 15 minutes.
14) Fry all the chicken in the same way, allowing more time for the dark meat than for the wings and breasts.
15) The frying should take about 1/2 hour.
16) Serve the chicken garnished with lemon wedges.