- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Aubergine Au Gratin Recipe
|Onion||1 Small, skinned and finely chopped|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Back bacon rashers||6 , rinded and cut into large pieces|
|Cooking oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cheese sauce||1 Pint, frozen separately|
Calories 188 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.6%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 3.8 mg
Sodium 590.9 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 6 g11.8%
Vitamin A 8.7% Vitamin C 12.9%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 5.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Clean the aubergines and slice them thin. Next, arrange the slices on a flat plate and sprinkle salt over them.
2) Let the slices stand in plate for about an hour to allow the bitter juices to run off in the plate.
3) Take a pan and melt butter in it. Add onions and saute until tender.
4) Now, put in tomatoes along with the juices and add seasonings (basil, salt, and pepper). Simmer the mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes.
5) Take a separate pan add bacon pieces to it. Heat gently, allowing all of the greasy fat to run off into the pan.
6) Cook bacon, until crisp and done. Wipe the aubergine slices with an absorbent paper.
7) Take a pan and heat 3 tbsp oil in it. Add half the aubergine slices and saute until browned on either side.
8) Drain between 2 deep foil containers and make a layer in the base of each foil. Fry the remaining slices.
9) Spoon equal amounts of tomato mixture over half of the aubergine slices and spread bacon pieces over it. Place the remaining aubergine slices over it.
10) Serve warm.