- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Atlantic Chowder Recipe
|Salt pork/Smoked bacon||1⁄2 Pound, cut into small, thin strips 1/2 pound|
|Onions||1 Pound, chopped|
|Potatoes||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), peeled and diced|
|Firm white fish fillets||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces|
|Fish stock||2 Cup (32 tbs) (At Boiling Point)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Fresh thyme sprigs/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme||3 (Leaves)|
|Dried dill weed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
Calories 2186 Calories from Fat 1492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 167 g257.1%
Saturated Fat 74.6 g373%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 549.8 mg
Sodium 2659.4 mg110.8%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.6%
Sugars 26.8 g
Protein 91 g182.1%
Vitamin A 58.8% Vitamin C 127.7%
Calcium 70.5% Iron 23.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove to paper towelling.
3. Add onions and butter, and stir until onions soften.
4. Stir in the potato dice.
5. Place the fish pieces in a layer over the potato-onion mixture.
6. Pour the fish stock over, and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
7. Cool, then chill if not wanted at once.
8. Shortly before serving, mix the spices, herbs and seasoning with the cream and milk.
9. Bring the chowder to a boil if cooled.
10. Pour over the flavoured cream and milk, and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.