- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Asparagus Pie Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Asparagus spears||16 Ounce (2 Can)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Grated cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||4 Tablespoon|
Calories 1779 Calories from Fat 975
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 110 g169.8%
Saturated Fat 43.7 g218.3%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 354 mg
Sodium 1997.9 mg83.2%
Total Carbohydrates 138 g46.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.6%
Sugars 16.1 g
Protein 55 g110.1%
Vitamin A 53.7% Vitamin C 7.8%
Calcium 99.1% Iron 58.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Prepare the pastry in the regular way but instead of milk, use water for mixing. Chill for as long as possible and then roll out the pastry and line a pie plate of 9-inches.
3) Drain the asparagus properly.
4) Beat egg whites till they are stiff.
5) In the pastry shell, arrange the asparagus spears in a wheel shape and set aside in a cool place.
6) In a pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes, constantly stirring. Gradually add the milk and keep stirring till the mixture is boiling and then add the grated cheese, beaten egg yolks, cream and seasoning.
7) Fold the mixture in the stiffly-beaten egg whites.
8) Pour the mixture all over the asparagus and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
9) Serve hot with green salad and broiled tomatoes.