- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Asparagus Appetizer Salad Recipe
|Fresh asparagus/2 packages frozen asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Canned pimento||1 , cut in strips|
|Hard boiled eggs||2 , sliced|
|Sour cream||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh chives||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh tarragon||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
Calories 316 Calories from Fat 197
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.4%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.6 mg
Sodium 404.7 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 16 g31%
Vitamin A 399.3% Vitamin C 150.7%
Calcium 31.3% Iron 41.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. If using fresh asparagus, wash stalks thoroughly in cold tap water , scrubbing lightly to with a vegetable brush if gritty.
2. Clean and trim the stalks, removing the woody base
3. Snap the stalks at the point where the tender part begins.
4. Plunge stalks in cold water as you clean and trim them.
5. Make into a bunch and tie with kitchen string.
6. Wash lettuce leaves and plunge in ice-cold water.
7. In a deep, narrow pot, place the asparagus stalks upright.
8. Add boiling water to caver them halfway.
9. Cover the pot and steam the asparagus on a low flame for about 15 minutes.
10. Drain well in a colander and let cool.
11. Make the dressing by whisking together the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
12. Drain and dry the lettuce leaves.
13. On two salad plate, lay lettuce leaves.
14. Divide the cooked asparagus into 2 bunches and arrange them on the lettuce leaves. Garnish with strips of pimento and sliced hard-boiled eggs.
15. Sprinkle with a pinch of paprika if desired.
16. Serve the dressing separately.