- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ash-e Jo Recipe Video
|Beef||1 Pound (cut is small chunks)|
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked (overnight)|
|Kashk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chickpeas||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Pinto beans||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lentils||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Basmati rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 Medium, chop|
|Grapeseed oil||17 1⁄2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon, divided|
|Cracked black pepper||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Cilantro leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm), chop|
|Scallions||2 Bunch (200 gm), chop|
|Fresh parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm), chop|
|Spinach||1 Bunch (100 gm), chop|
|Dill weed||1 Bunch (100 gm), chop|
|Water/Fish stock||20 Cup (320 tbs), divided|
|For the garlic and mint mixture|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Dried mint||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), chopped finely|
Calories 703 Calories from Fat 423
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.6%
Saturated Fat 7 g35.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.4 mg
Sodium 837.2 mg34.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 13 g51.9%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 25 g49%
Vitamin A 93.2% Vitamin C 64.7%
Calcium 41.3% Iron 94.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need8 quart size
1. Thoroughly wash all the leafy vegetables at least 2-3 times with water before you chop them, keep it aside
2. Chop the onions and garlic and keep it aside, until needed.
3. In a skillet pour 3 tablespoons of oil and then add the onions sauté the onions on medium high heat until they are golden brown.
4. Add the turmeric and fry then for one minute with the onions.
5. While the onions are frying take a 6 quart size pressure cooker add the basmati rice, beans, barley, meat, sautéed onion, salt& pepper and 2 tablespoons of oil and finally 8 cups of cold water.
6. Stir everything together and then put the lid on and turn the heat to medium high.
7. Once you hear the whistle then put the timer on for 15 minute and cook, do not open the lid.
8. Once you open the lid you should achieve a thick consistency.
9. Remove the meat from the soup and chop it to smaller pieces.
10. In a large pot put the chopped meat in it then add all the green herbs and spinach followed by the contents of the pressure cooker and stir all ingredients well.
11. Add 12 Cups of cold water, 2 ½ tablespoon of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper stir all the ingredients.
12. Cover with the lid and cook it for 25 minute on medium high heat stirring occasionally.
13. While the Ash-e Jo is cooking you can prepare the garlic and mint mixture.
14. Take a small pan pour 3 tablespoon of oil and sauté the garlic and mint, sauté the mixture for about 20 seconds till the garlic is golden brown once done keep it aside.
15. Check on the Ash-e Jo and check for seasoning as well, now add the kashk and stir.
16. Turn the heat to medium now cook it with the lid off for 35-40 minute.
17. Stir frequently to prevent your Ash-e Jo from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
18. The Ash-e Jo is ready you can serve it with the garlic and mint mixture and nan-e-sangak or bread of your choice.
If you prefer a creamier soup you can add more kashk to this recipe.
You can also add more barley if you like
While adding the kashk the liquid may look curdle this is due to kashk because it’s a dairy product, Not to worry you can just break it down to smaller pieces by using the back of your spatuala.
If you are vegetarian you can omit the meat, but double the amount of beans.
If you do not own a pressure cooker you will need to increase your cooking time by about 45 minutes to 1 hour. This is an estimated time.