- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Artichokes Taramosalata Recipe
|Golden caviar||4 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Corn oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Plain yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground white pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
Calories 414 Calories from Fat 309
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.6%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.5%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 170.4 mg56.8%
Sodium 671.7 mg28%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 8 g31.8%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 13 g25.7%
Vitamin A 6.1% Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 29.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the artichokes by washing, cutting off their stalks cutting across tops and pulling off any outer leaves that are dried or discolored.
2. Using kitchen scissors, cut tips from leaves.
3. In a large pan of boiling salted water cook artichokes uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes such that done.
4. on a plate drain artichokes upside down.
5. For making Taramasalata, in a medium bowl gradually beat oil, yogurt, lemon juice and white pepper into caviar until smooth.
6. Stir in garlic, if desired or in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth place all ingredients.
7. Refrigerate till serving and mixture will thicken while chilling.
8. When artichokes are cool, remove them by spreading the top leaves apart pull out each central cone of small soft leaves and scoop out and discard chokes, leaving hearts exposed.
9. Into the center of artichokes spoon Taramasalata and to eat, pull off an outside leaf and dip fleshy base into Taramasalata.
NOTE : Artichokes are done when a leaf will pull off easily. Cooking time will depend on size and age of artichokes.