- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Artichoke Soup Recipe
|Globe artichokes||4 Large|
|Double cream||4 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||To Taste (As desired)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
Calories 159 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.6%
Saturated Fat 0.42 g2.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg
Sodium 231 mg9.6%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.8 g35.3%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 6 g12.3%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 31.7%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 12.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) From the base of the artichokes, remove and discard the long stem.
2) With scissors, remove the tips of the leaves.
3) Under cold water, wash the artichokes thoroughly. While doing this, open up the leaves slightly and gently.
4) In a large casserole dish, place the artichokes, with bottom ends facing towards the outside.
5) On this, pour about 1/2 pint of water.
6) On high power, cook covered, for 15 minutes.
7) Now, change the position of the artichokes so as to immerse the top of each artichoke in the water.
8) Cover again and cook on high power for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep cooking until a leaf can be pulled off easily.
9) Now, gently remove the cover and take out the artichokes. Leave the cooking liquid in the bowl.
10) Place the artichokes on a board and gently scrape the flesh out from the leaves. Then, remove and discard the hairy choke. After this, dice the artichoke bottoms.
11) Now, in a 1 3/4 pints measure cup, add the cooking liquid. Add really hot water to match this measure.
12) To this liquid, stir in the scraped out pulp from the leaves and the diced artichoke bottoms.
13) On high power, cook for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the mix is slightly thick.
14) Now, in a liquidizer or blender, puree this mixture.
15) In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and cream together.
16) To this, stir in 2 or 3 tablespoons of the hot liquid.
17) Now, into the pureed soup, strain this mixture.
18) With salt and pepper, season to taste.
19) On high power, reheat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
20) Serve the Artichoke Soup hot in decorative soup bowls.