- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Artichoke Fritters With Remoulade Sauce Recipe
|Mayonnaise||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Anchovy paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Minced capers||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced cornichons||1 Tablespoon (French Gherkin Pickles)|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced fresh chives||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ice water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Quart (For Deep Frying)|
Calories 329 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.7%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.8 mg
Sodium 253 mg10.5%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.4%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 4.1% Vitamin C 25.4%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 10%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Make the fritters: Pour the lemon juice into a large nonreactive saucepan with about 2 quarts of water.
3. Trim each artichoke by snapping off the stem; bend back and pull off the tough outer dark green leaves. Using a serrated stainless steel knife, cut off the top two-thirds of the artichoke, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of the heart. Pare away the bases of the dark green outer leaves. As you trim each artichoke, drop immediately into the acidulated water to prevent discoloration.
4. When all the artichokes are in the saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and boil until the artichoke hearts are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the hearts cool in the cooking liquid to retain their color. (The artichokes can be cooked 1 day ahead and refrigerated in their cooking liquid overnight.)
5. When cool, remove the artichokes from the liquid and cut each heart into eighths. Remove the hairy choke and drain well.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder with the ice water. Blend thoroughly.
7. In a deep-fryer or large deep saucepan, heat the oil to 400°. One by one, dip each piece of artichoke into the batter and add to the hot oil. Fry in batches without crowding until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve the fritters hot with the remoulade sauce for dipping.