- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Armenian Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Nonfat dry milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 561 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.4%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.6 mg
Sodium 612.7 mg25.5%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.2%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 16.3 g
Protein 21 g42.3%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 31.9% Iron 33.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat in 2 cups of the flour until smooth. Beat in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using only as much flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
4. Invert large bowl over dough; let rest 20 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Divide one of these pieces into 3 pieces. Grease 3 cooky sheets with oil. Pat out one of the large pieces of dough to a 9-inch round on one of the cooky sheets. Make a 3-inch hole in center of round by pulling dough back with fingers. Pat a small piece of dough into a 3-inch round and place in center. Repeat to make 3 loaves. Cover each loaf with plastic wrap. Chill 2 to 6 hours.
6. Remove breads from refrigerator; remove plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds in a shallow baking pan. Toast seeds in a moderate oven (350°), 5 minutes, or just until golden.
8. Brush breads with beaten egg and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
9. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until breads are golden, and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from cooky sheets to wire racks; cool breads completely before serving.