- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apricot and Almond Strudel Recipe
|Fresh ripe apricots||3⁄4 Pound|
|Granulated sugar/Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Ground almonds||3 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Egg||1⁄2 (lightly beaten)|
|Double cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Warm water||4 Fluid Ounce|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon (for dusting)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2238 Calories from Fat 537
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.1%
Saturated Fat 18.3 g91.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 331 mg
Sodium 356.9 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 394 g131.3%
Dietary Fiber 13.6 g54.4%
Sugars 203.3 g
Protein 32 g63.3%
Vitamin A 152.2% Vitamin C 56.7%
Calcium 11.2% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Split and stone the apricots.
2) In a bowl, add each half with 3 oz sugar.
3) Combine together ground almonds, 2 oz caster sugar, egg and cream to a smooth paste.
4) For the strudel paste, in a warm bowl, sift the flour with a pinch of salt.
5) Make a well in the centre, and pour in the lightly beaten egg and the oil, mixed with about 4 fl oz of warm water.
6) Beat till the paste seems elastic.
7) If it seems too slack, then add some flour.
8) After beating, turn out into a clean bowl and sprinkle with flour.
9) Place a lid and leave store in a warm place for about 7-10 minutes.
10) On the table, place a large floured tea towel.
11) Roll a little to flatten the paste by rolling slightly, then lay it on the floured cloth.
12) Allow to stand for a further 5 minutes, then start to pull gently from the sides.
13) When paper thin, dab the top with melted butter.
14) Scatter over the apricots and then distribute the almond filling over the top.
15) To roll up the strudel, tilt the cloth and tip it on to a well greased baking sheet.
16) Curl slightly.
17) Use melted butter to brush again and place in oven at 400°F or Mark 6, for 15-20 minutes or until nicely brown and crisp.
18) Dust well with icing sugar.
19) Serve, preferably just warm with a bowl of lightly whipped cream.