- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apricot Almond Bar Cookies Recipe
|Apricot filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||14 Tablespoon (3/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Finely ground blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||7 Tablespoon (At Room Temperature)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1⁄2 , lightly beat 1 egg and divide|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|10x confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 152 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18.4 mg
Sodium 10.5 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.47 g1.9%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 2 g3.4%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 0.9% Iron 4.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine the flour and the ground almonds in a small bowl.
3. Beat together the butter, sugar, egg and almond extract in a medium-size bowl until the mixture is fluffy. Fold in the flour mixture. The dough will be soft. Divide the dough in half; flatten each half into a round. Wrap each half of the dough in wax paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to slow (325°). Lightly butter a 8 x 8 x 2-inch square baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside.
5. Roll one piece of dough between 2 pieces of wax paper into a 8-inch square to fit the baking pan. Peel off the wax paper from one side of the dough; invert the dough into the prepared pan. Press to fit the dough into the pan. Spread the Apricot Filling over the dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border all around the edge. Roll the remaining dough into an 8-inch square between 2 pieces of wax paper. Repeat, inverting the dough onto the filling. Peel off the remaining piece of wax paper. Press the dough down gentiy to seal.
6. Bake the cookie dough in the preheated slow oven (325°) for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool the cookies in the pan on a wire rack.
7. Loosen the cookies around the edge of the pan with a metal spatula. Invert onto a wire rack and remove the pan. Invert the cookies again. Sprinkle with the 10X (confectioners') sugar. Cut trie cookies into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips. Then cut into diamond-shapes for a total of 15 to 18 cookies.
8. Decorate the cookies with the sliced almonds and glace cherries, if you wish.