- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Applesauce Cake Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slightly melted|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned applesauce||1 Cup (16 tbs), or freshly cooked|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 600 Calories from Fat 250
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.4%
Saturated Fat 10.8 g53.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.3 mg
Sodium 346.4 mg14.4%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g17%
Sugars 37.4 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 9.7% Vitamin C 15.1%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 18.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a 2-pound cake tin and line the bottom with wax paper. Keep aside.
2. In a slow-cooker or crock pot, place a metal stand or rack.
3. In a bowl or on wax paper, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and powder and all the ground spices
4. In a large bowl, cream butter with a wire whisk or electric beater until soft.
5. Gradually beat in sugar until it is light and fluffy.
6. Stir in the apple sauce.
7. Fold in the dry sifted ingredients, a little at a time until all of it is incorporated to make a smooth batter.
8. Fold in the nuts.
9. Pour the batter into the greased and lined tin.
10. Place the cake tin on the rack in the pot.
11. Cover pot with lid.
12. Bake the bread on HIGH for about 1 hour or on LOW for about 4 hours or until springy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
13. When done, remove mold from pot.
14. Rest for 15 minutes to cool.
15. Turn out and let cool on a wire rack.
16. Slice and serve warm or cold, topped with cream or ice-cream or enjoy plain with tea.